Sunday, January 15, 2017

#BeatHavok (Used to be a fan)

Oh, no, another blog entry about wrestling, yadda, yadda, yadda...

I remember having a huge crush on the dominating female wrestler named Jessicka Havok (yes, it's spelled that way). What I saw in her was the amalgamation of Bull Nakano and "Sensational" Sherri Martel, two of my favorite women in the wrestling industry. Like Sherri and Nakano, Havok is beautiful, fierce and has an affinity for face paint.
Someone obviously pissed in her Cheerios that day.
 I first saw Havok in action on an episode of TNA Impact wrestling and was immediately enamored with her intimidating style but cute face and I was a immediately a fan. The huge thighs helped also. As I kept watching Havok dominate the TNA knockouts division (women wrestlers), I kept wanting for Havok to become the knockouts champion to no avail. Since Impact wasn't in good shape, as if they ever were, I, at least wanted her to leave the clutches of TNA and move on to greater pastures. And then I heard the news WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment) was interested in her. Now, I admit that right now, I am not the biggest WWE fan but I was happy to see her move on to bigger and better things. WWE happens to be the biggest wrestling organization in the world, or at least in the U.S.. Then, news broke that WWE decided not to bringing her on. At first, I was angry with WWE, thinking that they didn't hire her  because she wasn't shaped like a Bella or nude photos of popped up of her the moment she became legal (which I wouldn't have minded) but when the reason came out why she wasn't chosen was released, I surprisingly took WWE's side.

It was leaked all over the internet that in the past, Havok had posted some quite racist and homophobic tweets. As much as I liked Havok, a person who could say the things she said in such a jokingly manner pissed me off and I lost respect for her. At the time the tweets were revealed, Havok put out an apology, saying she was "young and dumb". She has recently come out and said that the tweets were set up by internet trolls to ruin her career.

Now, in her recently posted (well, a few months ago) blog, Havok said that she was tired of having to explain herself and the "only God can judge me" defense and that everyone has or done something racist and stupid in their lifetime. Perhaps she's right, I know I've made my fair share of race jokes from time to time (if any of you are concerned whether or not I've said the N word, I'm black, not that that means anything) and as she said, people mature and grow. I know I still am.
How classy of her...




 My problem in the situation is in the beginning of the scandal, she issued a message that sounded a tad robotic and in her blog post, she just sounds so pissed off that the whole situation hasn't gone away, years later. She channels this by saying "if you're a fan, that's cool. If you're still offended, fuck you", and it's not that simple. There will be those who believe her and those who, like myself, who really think she just wants us to forget about it. I know at the moment that because, 1. I was a HUGE fan of hers and 2. You never know what people are truly truly thinking. If I were to say anything to her, it would be that I don't hate her but I've lost a great deal of respect for her. I am not some troll, I'm just a wrestling fan with an opinion.

Havok's blog post can be found here...
https://jessickahavok.wordpress.com/2016/10/18/were-all-the-same-dear-i-have-owned-this-life-forever-ill-always-remain/

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, I'd like to clarify a few things. I'm close friends with her and while I didn't know her then, I do know her now and she is absolutely, positively not a racist or homophobe. I can feel you rolling your eyes but it's true. I talk or see her almost every day and I have NEVER seen or heard her do anything remotely racist or homophobic. Those N-word tweets were NOT made by her. The "I hate --" one was a retweet with !!!! added because she was surprised her black friend tweeted that. The KFC one was faked and I have proof. The troll comment wasn't bullshit; a group that has been giving her crap for months before this were the ones that posted the tweets (and tagged pretty much everyone in wrestling with them) and for most of them they conveniently cut out the responses or what she was responding to. (Yes, they were still stupid comments, but they were taken out of context instead of showing that they were from friends - including black and gay friends - giving each other shit like friends do.) And, surprise, it was the same group that faked the KFC one (for sure, there may have been others) and thought it was hilarious. (They also faked tweets from other wrestlers to cause shit but that's another story.)

    As for her blog post, think about it: If you did something stupid and offensive years ago and made a legit apology because you legit felt bad (and not in a "oh no I got caught" way) and people were still trying to screw with your career and then went after your friends just for being friends with you (Ember Moon, for example), wouldn't you be frustrated? It's not "if you're still mad fuck you" it's "if you're still mad there's nothing more I can do to make you change your mind so you're just gonna have to stay mad."

    I'm not saying that you should "get over it" or you're dumb for getting offended in the first place. You have every right to be offended and lose respect. I just wanted to say that if you believe she's a bigot who hates black and gay people you'd be wrong; just ask Apollo Crewes, Ember Moon, Ricochet, Rich Swann, Rick Cataldo, Mercedes Martinez, Dezmond Xavier, Jason Cade, Moose, and several other wrestlers and fans. People can and do learn, grow, and change, and she definitely has.

    Thank you for reading.

    ReplyDelete