Sunday, March 11, 2012

The slow process of becoming an RPG fan pt.2

I didn't realize this story would be so long---->

Years after "slow process" pt.1, In the PS1 heydays, there was huge hype over a new title coming to the US from Japan titled "Final Fantasy 7". Everyone seemed to be talking about this game and to be honest, I really didn't care at the time. See, when I first received my PS1, I had sworn off any game that wasn't a fighting game, due to games of any other genre being "unfair" in my mind. While all this was going on, I'd say 96-97, a lot of anime was released out of the blue and I was still heavily influenced by anime, especially a Saban produced show called Dragon Ball Z. I was obsessed with this show and after it's release, anything that was or even looked like Dragon Ball Z was bad ass. So Ironic since now I can't stand DBZ, except the Vegeta saga. Anyway, when I first saw Cloud, the main character of FF7, I thought he looked like Goku, the main character of DBZ and I suddenly wanted to play the game. Luckily, a kid up the street from me had just bought the game and he let me borrow, strangely for quite a while.
  From what I recall, I was really confused and just walked around. When I ran into battles, I just pushed buttons until I actually read the box at the bottom of the screen asking what I wanted to do. After figuring out what the hell I was doing (which took a few days) I actually began having fun, especially when the guy with gun arms and the girl came along. I basically grinded, mostly because I was lost, until I ran into the first boss, who proceeded to kick my ass. Frustrated, I kept battling him until I actually stopped and planned a strategy against him and won. I was having a great time until...well, 1.the kid up the street wanted his game back and 2. the game kept freezing on a section where all I remember is that cloud and crew were on a train.

I do want to thank Final Fantasy for intriguing me and letting me know that all RPGs aren't pieces of shit. Doesn't mean I was going to buy one at the time.

to be concluded     

No comments:

Post a Comment