Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The slow process of becoming an RPG fan pt.1

In a more upbeat tone, I decided to write about how through years of anime influence, I became a fan of RPG video games. I'll take it from the top;

When I was about two or three, I fell in love with the anime Voltron (or Golion for you purist). What made me fall for the show was the unique style of animation and how the show was rooted in fantasy with robots. Years later, I fell for another anime fantasy show called Dragon Warrior (Dragon Quest) which was more fantasy oriented and no robots. It was a shortlived show but after watching it, I was anime fan for life, even watching some true crap just because it was anime.

On an occasion where my father was on leave from his army base, He took me to Toy 'R Us to let me pick out any  nintendo game I wanted. I was excited until I saw the selections the store had. I wasn't impressed with anything they had, not even Mario 2 (and for those thinking "Wait, wasn't Dragon Warrior the video game around?". Well I was about 6-7 at the time and it had no anime cover, so shut up!). I wanted to give up and settle for a couple of action figures but then I saw it! On the cover of the game, there was an anime drawn Knight, Princess, old guy, kid and dragon(?). I saw that and instantly thought of Dragon Warrior and I was so excited, I tugged at my dad's arm, pointing and shouting "I want that one!" He looked at it, with a "what the hell?" look on his face and said; "Hmm, King's Knight. Are you sure?". I shook my head enthusiastically and he told the clerk that was the game I wanted. I remember being so excited to play the game, thinking that it would be like Mario only with an anime knight and his crew but when I popped the game in, it definitely was a little different than what I thought it would be.

   First off, the game had an overhead view, something I had never played before and immediately dislike when seeing a game of this pov. Second, the game played like a shooter game and the closest thing to a shooter was Duck Hunt. Third, you take turns(your companions come when you die) but your partners (the old man, the kid and the lizard man) are in different sections than you. Last, when you die, the screen shows the character you are with the words "dead" under them. Damn, that's harsh, at least that's what I thought back then. While me today would just find the game challenging, a younger me found the game unfair and after a weekend trying to get past the first stage of each character, I gave up on the game, vowing to 1. Never judge a game by the box cover and 2. Never to play games I know nothing about again. Thank God I mostly break promises, well at least in this case.
To Be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment