Sunday, May 20, 2018

My drawing days (no pictures available, sorry)

First of all, I want to dedicate this blog to my old friends in the neighbor and the fun times we had playing our super hero personas...

Did y'all know I that I used to draw my own comics? No? Probably because I've never mentioned it. Yeah, I used to draw my own comics when I was about ages 8-14-ish. Was I any good at it is another question. I was inspired by a friend of mine who lived up the street from who was also a huge comic book fan. One day, he showed me drawings and told me that he was going to make a comic book featuring all of our neighborhood friends.

The moment he told me this, I went home and began drawing my own heroes. Of course, his comics were like actually comics and mine were more "page 1. Heroes meet. page 2. Heroes go to their destination, etc...". I didn't even have panels on the pages. I could never draw on his level but I didn't know that at the time. I recall even making my own X-team known as "X-Club tm" which consisted of possibly the most generic group of heroes ever. I even created the most generic villain for them named Mr. Destruction who was literally just a evil business man with electrical powers. No origin on how he got those powers or why he's evil, he just is.

I recall even drawing Marvel characters fighting characters from Street Fighter II. I could be in for some money if I can find the pictures and prove that I drew them around 1992.

Alas, kept noticing how detailed all of my friends drawings were compared to mine. He had bragged about how he had won an award for his drawings and compared to his drawings, mine people looked straight out of "Minecraft". Also, I don't think I was putting in as much effort as he did. So, at age 14-ish, I decided drawing comics wasn't my thing and though I sketched every once, I put up my mom's contract paper and drawing pencil. It was also at this age that I actually began reading comics, not just collecting them and thought to myself, ; "Hell, I could write this!"...

No comments:

Post a Comment