Thursday, July 25, 2013

Why I am not a Naruto fan...

I know it has been forever since I've posted a blog but life happens, along with a lot of procrastination, but now I'm posting a new blog that is a quasi-continuation of the previous blog, "Ninja Obsession". 

As mentioned in the previous blog, I am obsessed with almost anything that is of authentic Japanese Ninjitsu but there is an exception, one that has a huge following in Japan and in the States. If the title didn't tip you off, it's Naruto, an ninja based anime and manga about the adventures of a few students of a ninja academy. The students, Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura, learn ninjitsu while competing with and helping each other and even saving the world. Sounds right up my alley, doesn't it? Well, again, as the title says, I am not a big fan of this series. 
 My reason for this are the following; I feel that Naruto is just not written well. Most of the characters are either not written well enough to care about or just plain annoying, Especially Naruto himself, who is brash and annoying. All I ever hear from him is just "I want to be the best, I want to be the best ninja" and it gets old after episode 7. Yes, he saves the world from supernatural villains, some from Asian mythology, but he goes about in the way of "Hey, I already know I can beat you but we'll prolong it for several episodes or an entire movie". Maybe, if Naruto used a bit more teamwork (in the episodes I've watched it's always about him) and if Naruto weren't so loud, maybe I would be into it more.
The more interesting characters; Jiraiya, a perverted teacher, Sasuke, a main character who flip flops between rivaling with Naruto and wanting to kill him, and Rock Lee, ninja/ kung-fu student.

No comments:

Post a Comment