Sunday, November 19, 2017

Living Arrangements

Yeah, it took me three months to write another blog. I had a sea of ideas to write about but would dump them mid way through writing. It's the flaw of a writer/blogger.

Recently, I've had friends propose the idea of either getting a place together or moving in with them to help pay for bills. I do like the idea of having a place with someone I'm on familial terms with that isn't actually family but the conversation normally ends with my usual statement of "I'll think about it".

Am I afraid to leave my current living arrangements, I'm staying with family, because of the hassle of not having to pay as many bills as I would if I moved out on my own? Well, I have lived on my own before during my tenure at Wright State. Granted, it was student apartments so I wasn't directly paying for the places I stayed (this will come back to bite me on the ass in student loan payments) but I must admit, it felt great to have a place of my own,  being able to have friends over whenever I wanted.

To be honest, I did have an experience where I moved in with a sorta friend and it went horribly wrong. Granted, I couldn't help him financially for a month but that did not call for being threatened with having my things thrown out and an ass kicking. When things were finally squared away between us, the animosity between he and his significant other became a factor. During these times, I would literally lock myself in my room while the two argued over the smallest thing.  It was during these times that I am extremely grateful for the friends I made over twitter because I just felt isolated and alone and at time and I spoke to them to keep my spirits up. As weeks went by, me and my roommate mostly avoided each other, only coming out to grab food. About maybe a month and a half went by with mostly quiet until my roommate dropped a bomb on me one weekend.

My roommate let me know that due to being on the verge of a nervous breakdown, he was moving back home with his family, so I had to move out as well, being that I couldn't afford the place by myself. Now this would've been okay if I was given maybe a month or two to find a new place but I was given two weeks instead. Yeah, now this made me want to have a nervous breakdown. I scrambled HARD to find a new place, all while moving smaller stuff of mine back to my mother's.  As I spent those to weeks looking for a new place, I ended up missing a lot of class time I practically flunked my Spanish class, which I liked. As crunch time continued, my roomie kept asking if I had found a way to get my stuff out, which I hadn't and this began his phrase of "I'm not trying to be an asshole, but...". Nothing irked me more than when he said that and he kept saying it to me at a time of extreme distress. After all, he had his family to help him move, I didn't.

When the final week came, I had to beg friends to help me gather some things and help me take them to my mothers in the middle of a Friday night, which scared the shit out of her. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get everything out, delaying my roommates move by a week, which they surely let me know of. The very last night, I had to beg a friend who I hadn't spoken with in ages to come help me. As we gathered the last of my things out of the apartment, I turned to my roommate and the following; "That was a fun experience, now let us never, ever do that again.". He just looked at me puzzled and said "what's that supposed to mean?". I said, "EXACTLY!" and walked out the door.

So, this my fear of moving in with a friend, that various events will take place that will drive us apart like it did between me and my former roommate. Plus, I guess I'm a very private person and I like to mutter to myself a lot when I'm alone so I dunno if that would freak anyone out. But then again, any of my friends would be make better roommates than that neurotic drip so who knows...

If you're ever in the Cleveland area and you run into a bespectacled man or a woman who like using the phrase;
Guy: "I'm not trying to be an asshole but..."
Woman: "I'm not trying to be a bitch, I'm not trying to be a cunt but..."
Get the hell away from them AS FAST AS YOU CAN!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment