Sunday, April 23, 2017

Love me like facebook...

Originally, this entry was about a friend embarrassing me in the middle of a bar on her birthday but wanting to talk about it may have led me to a revelation. Maybe I'm upset with this friend, beyond the humiliating me in public,because I might be jealous of her. When seeing her practically daily post, to me, her posts come off as adventurous, receiving comments, thumbs up and any other emoti-cons on her post while I can barely get a response to mine.

Yes, folks, I've become one of those people who judge their self worth by how many likes, responses and other types of attention on social media. It's a crippling disease that those of us without a real social life suffer from. It's started by looking at our friends' facebook page, seeing that they just had a new baby, had gone to Cancun or was just arrested and say to ourselves; "Damn, I wish that were me!". I know I mostly do it because the most exciting my life goes is folding laundry or going for a walk. Actually, I've seen post where some of my friends have gone on some exciting walks.

As hard as it sounds and is, a great man told me the best advice when it comes to comparing yourself to your friends on social media, DON'T!! Comparing your life to people you know on social media is going to drive you insane. If those words aren't any help, think of the examples I used, the friend having the baby. They're on lock down until that kid turns 16-18. That friend that went to Cancun, unless they come from money (most of the people I know don't), that's probably gonna be a one time thing. The friend who got arrested, kinda speaks for itself. To keep on comparing your life to theirs is punishing yourself for living. To keep doing so may lead you to do something that will probably get you the wrong kind of attention.
"Look, Gina's hair caught on fire while partying with people half her age. I wish that would happen to me!"

No comments:

Post a Comment